We love Nicole. She’s friendly, adorable, and does gorgeous work. So we decided to catch up with her and play 20 Questions about anything from underwear preferences to favorite pieces of gear.
1. Where are you from?
I’m from Edmonton, Alberta Canada.
2. What kind of photography do you do?
I specialize in boudoir, weddings and portraiture.
3. Which is your favorite?
It would definitely be a tie between boudoir and weddings. I love connecting with other woman and making them feel good about themselves, but I also love weddings. Getting to be apart of the most important day for others is pretty special.
4. Do you have a favorite image or moment from a session/shoot/wedding/event/etc. that really stands out? If so, why?
The moment you show someone how beautiful they are straight out of camera and they can’t believe it. Amazing.
5. If you were a flower, what kind would you be?
A rose- I’m sentimental and a classic romantic….and I definitely did an online quiz to get that answer, hahaha.
6. Have you been to the Canada Photo Convention before and are you going in 2015?
Yes! I’ve been the last two years and I’m signed up for 2015 :)
7. If you have gone before, what was your favorite part?
Every year I leave feeling inspired. I always feel like I make new or deeper connections with other photographers and I feel challenged to improve my work. I love CPC.
8. Who was your favorite speaker?
Fer Juaristi. Hands down.
9. Who is a photographer that you admire and why?
Gabe McClintock. When you feel as much as you feel by looking at his images you know he’s doing something right.
10. If you could travel to any place in the world, where would it be and why?
Europe. So many wish list places to visit there.
11. If you could have lunch with anyone in the world, living or dead, who would it be?
12. Did you always want to do photography growing up?
No. I always knew I wanted to do something artistic for a living but I never knew photography would allow me to do that.
13. What do you think is the hardest part about running your business, and how do you solve/overcome that issue?
Accounting/business. I overcome it by paying someone else to do it.
14. What is your one must-have piece of gear or software that you could never live without?
My Canon 85mm f/1.2L II lens. It’s delicious.
15. Boxers or briefs?
16. Favorite food?
Fried chicken. I’m really health conscious.
17. If it was Friday night at 9pm, where would we be most likely to find you?
Probably editing at my computer.
18. Looking back, Is there anything you would have done differently during your photography career?
I wish I would have specialized sooner rather than spreading myself too thin.
19. What’s the one best thing you’d ever done for your business and why was it the best?
Not caving to Plan B and pushing myself to go full time even when I was broke. Fear forced me to hustle.
20. What’s one thing you’d like to share with the audience of CPC?
To the new photographers – don’t give up. At first the photo world is really overwhelming and sometimes frustrating. I was so eager to create but I felt restricted by technical aspects and the business side of photography. Put in the work, learn how to use your gear and practice, practice, practice. Don’t compare your beginning to established photographers – it will rob you of happiness. And if you put your worth on how many likes or compliments you receive you are asking for heartache. Be yourself and shoot what you love. There will be times you feel like giving up but if you really love it – don’t. It’s so worth it :)
Hahah sorry if that last one sounded really cheesy, but its true!
To check out more of Nicole’s work, check out her website here.
Article by Beth Teutschmann.